SCOOP
Well SCOOP finished up on Sunday. I had a few close calls, 3 top 40 finishes, but unfortunately no big score. I went somewhat deep in the $10k main event, but ended up finishing 40th. I lost a biggish flip on the exact bubble to make me short and then busted not too long after losing another flip to the same guy. I did play one really interesting hand early in the tournament.
The opponent in this hand is ActionJeff, a really really good online player. He used to play a lot of tournaments, then switched to cash and as far as I know just kind've plays whatever he feels like now. In this tournament we didn't have much history, I'd 3bet once and bet/folded a JT4 flop when he check raised all in. We'd also played all of Day 2 of the LAPC together, with him playing pretty aggressively all day and me not doing much about it. So basically I think he views me as a pretty normal tournament player, pretty tight and straightforward overall.
At 75/150 with a 20 ante, I raise to 450 utg+2 with red kings and he calls from the bb. He has 16025 chips and I cover. Flop comes Tc 3d 2d, he checks, I bet 750 and he calls. Turn is the 7c, and he check/calls 1700. River is the 5s, he checks, I bet 4350 and he shoves for 13k total.
The hand is pretty straightforward up until the river. It's an easy value bet on the river, there are plenty of missed draws I could be bluffing with and while I think he'll fold quite often, it's just really rare that he has me beat and quite reasonable for him to call plenty of worse hands. The check-raise is tougher. My range on this river is pretty much sets/T7, overpairs/AT and missed draws. I'm obviously always folding my missed draws and never folding my sets so basically how often he bluffs is a function of what he thinks I'll do with the second set of hands. I really felt like given our history he'd think I'd bet/fold an overpair on this river, so he might do something like turn Tx into a bluff or shove a missed draw, so I made the call. He showed AQo and that gave me a lot of chips early.
After that I just wasn't really able to get too much going. I hovered around 50k for a long time, before losing some pots and bleeding down to 30k. I then doubled up with AK>KQs to get back to 60 and feel like I played pretty well from there until the bubble, finding some spots to pick up chips. Unfortunately things didn't turn out this time, but that's how tournaments go.
Not sure what's next on my schedule, probably more PLO and some Sunday tournaments before heading out to the WSOP in June. There's also an event in Calgary in May which I went to last year I may check out again.
Steve


1 Comments:
Nice post Steve, keep it up.
Post a Comment
<< Home