Monday, February 08, 2010

Sundays and a hand

Nothing of note this Sunday except another close call in a $22 freezeout. Ended up getting 14th after losing AA to AJo all in preflop for 2nd or 3rd in chips :/

Got a request to look at a call I made in a little private tourney. Blinds were 200/400/25 and the BB was sitting out. Folded to the CO who shoved 2265 and I called K9o on the button. I had 11k and the sb had 8k. So first let's ignore the sb for simplicity and then add him back in later. Table was 8 handed so pot is 200+400+8*25=800. I'm calling 2265 to win 3065 so I need 42.5% equity for calling to be good.

In pretty much the worst case scenario, his range will be something like only better hands: any pair, any ace, KT+. Against that I have 36% equity and calling is definitely bad. So how wide does he have to be? Wider than I would've thought actually; after doing some pokerstoving, it looks like any broadway, any suited Kx and most suited connectors, 1 gappers and 2 gappers or about 33% of hands. With the big blind sitting out I'd expect a lot of people to shove significantly wider than that (a lot of people would shove any 2 there).

Now what about the sb? I think a reasonable range for him to shove is something like 66+, ATs+, AJo+, maybe KQs. Some will be wider, some tighter. That's 8.3% of hands, so if I'm folding to a shove (I was) then that costs me .083*2265=188 chips. So now to break even I need 46% equity, which works out to him shoving close to 50% of hands. So vs some this call is definitely a mistake, vs others (who are shoving close to any 2) it's a very clear call. I was playing a bunch of tables and had no reads so I'd make the call again but it's much closer than I thought.

On that note, if you ever see me play hands you'd like to hear explanations of (or if you just want my thoughts on a random hand) feel free to ask about them in the comments section. I used to be pretty good about working on getting better but I've been slacking a bit recently and stuff like the above definitely helps.

Steve

5 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger tugapoker said...

hello steve,
just a very big compliment!
not just that u find the time to play a 1$ tourney and giving the chance to lots of "low-limit-players"
to play and learn with a pro - no u really took word and analysed a hand out of this tourney because a player asked u why u played that hand this way.
wouwww.
this for me is very impressive!
keep up this great caracter and i wish u always a good hand at the tables. tyvm
markus(No_Way_22)- tugapoker
btw: very nice blog!

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger plusnoir said...

HI, first of all.

A big Compliment from me 2 that u take the time for those low-torneys and even the time to analyze that hand, you promised me.

Yes I'm the one who made the shove with ATs. :D

Well it's also nice you realized that it was a close call. What you could not know is that I'm a pretty tight Player, so please do not make a call like this against me again ;D

One more thing. Your Blog now has one more reader!!

GL on all the hands you play.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Thanks for the compliments! plusnoir, you'll be happy to know I used your chips well and won the tournament :) And thanks for doubling my readership! Feel free to tell your friends and maybe you can double it again!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger shiddyLA said...

Can I communicate with you somewhere other than a blog?

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Steve said...

blog or you can find me on stars is about it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home